Crafting Style: The Art of SCAROSSO Shoemaking
Special Discount | 20% Off Your Order - Verified
Extra 10% Off All Purchases
Flat 40% Off Sale Items
Free Shipping And Returns Above £150
Subscribe To Newsletter And Get Up To 15% Off Your First Order
Thomas Brown Grain Starting From £320
Marco Reiter, the Managing Director of Scarosso, a premium Italian footwear brand established in 2010, has a remarkable background. He was born in Vienna, educated in Milan, and is currently based in Berlin. Scarosso offers hand-made Italian shoes at a mid-market price, with a pair of handcrafted Oxfords costing €199. The brand has gained immense popularity over the years and has expanded from a small men-only e-tailer to six mono-brand stores across Hamburg, Frankfurt, Berlin, Hannover, and Vienna. Scarosso's leather tassel loafers and Chelsea boots in calf hide are highly customizable through the brand's online configurator.
The brand has also collaborated with menswear style icon Johannes Heubl, who designed a collection of dress shoes in partnership with Scarosso in 2014. In an interview with Scarosso's 29-year-old Managing Director Marco Reiter, we discussed the company's rapid growth and increasing popularity.
How did you come up with the name Scarosso?
The name Scarosso is derived from the fusion of two Italian terms, namely "scarpe" denoting shoes, and "rosso" signifying red. Initially, our concept involved incorporating a red lining within the shoes. Nevertheless, after conducting several trials, we decided to abandon this notion. Despite this change, the name Scarosso persisted.
Outside of your flagship boutiques and e-store, can we also find your shoes elsewhere?
We have previously engaged in partnerships with smaller boutiques in Italy, Germany, and Austria. Nevertheless, our primary emphasis now lies in nurturing our own online and offline retail platforms, while ensuring unparalleled customer satisfaction across both channels. It is evident that the retail industry is progressively adopting an omni-channel strategy, and we take pride in being among the pioneers to embrace this trend.
Your Made in Italy shoes are manufactured by experienced craftsmen, yet you sell them at a lower price than most other high-end brands. What's the secret?
As you mentioned, our shoes are produced by premium manufacturers and artisans in Italy. We use the same raw materials as most luxury brands do, and would never compromise on quality. The reason for the lower price, is that we cut out the middle man – that is, license partners and agencies et cetera – and pass the margin onto the customers.
What is currently the biggest market for Scarosso?
As a Pan-European brand, we have identified a significant demand for handcrafted Italian shoes in the DACH region (Germany, Austria, and Switzerland). Therefore, we have made it our current focus market. However, we also have a substantial customer base in the UK, France, and Italy. In the coming months, we plan to develop more targeted strategies to cater to these markets.
Which shoes are currently your best-sellers?
During the winter season, our inventory predominantly consists of a wide range of Chelsea boots, available in various styles and colors. However, our brand's reputation is primarily built upon our exceptional collection of loafers, with the tassel loafers being the epitome of our renowned craftsmanship.
You started out doing shoes for him only, but now you also cater to her. How are the women's shoes performing vs. the men's shoes?
Approximately 70% of our clientele consists of men, with the remaining 30% being women. It is worth noting that our men's portfolio is significantly larger, which accounts for the natural split.
Could you tell me more about the expansion of the Scarosso leather goods assortment
Since our inception, we have consistently offered complementary belts and shoe trees. As time progressed, we expanded our range to include a wider selection of accessories. In 2014, we further diversified our collection by introducing premium leather goods, including bags and wallets, alongside our assortment of shoe cleaning products - all meticulously crafted in Italy. Our unwavering commitment lies in partnering exclusively with esteemed manufacturers, such as Francesco Maglia, the renowned umbrella producer hailing from Milan.
So the ultimate goal would be to sell a 360 degrees ready-to-wear line?
Our current focus lies on shoes and leather accessories. However, we are actively experimenting and sampling new products, leaving the door open for what the future may hold.